Psychotherapy Clinical Supervision
Psychotherapy/ Clinical Supervision is a critical component of the training and professional development process for psychotherapists and mental health practitioners. It involves regular meetings between a trainee/novice therapist (the supervisee) and a more experienced therapist (the supervisor) to review and discuss the supervisee's clinical work, cases, and therapeutic techniques. Street Therapy Clinical Supervisors use the Competency-Based Supervision Model (Falander & Shafranske, 2021). The primary goal of supervision is to support the growth and development of the supervisee as a competent and ethical psychotherapist. Key aspects of psychotherapy supervision include:
Bernadette Street's Supervision Fees
|Supervision for Psychotherapy Interns and RP (Qualifying) categories||$100 + HST/hr|
|Supervision and Consultation with RP, Independent category||$170 + HST/ hr|
|Group Supervision and Case Consultation||$35+ HST/hr|
|Decolonization Mentorship||$70 + HST/hr|
|Group Workshops/Speaking Engagements||$200+ HST/ hr to $350 + HST / hr|
1. Cultural Sensitivity: Supervisors guide supervisees in developing cultural competence and sensitivity in working with clients from diverse backgrounds. This includes addressing cultural dynamics, biases, and understanding the impact of cultural factors on therapy.
2. Skill Development: Supervision provides an opportunity for the supervisee to receive guidance, feedback, and coaching on their clinical skills. The supervisor may offer suggestions, share their expertise, and help the supervisee enhance their therapeutic techniques and interventions. Supervision is open to Street Therapists, psychotherapy interns, and external supervisees. Street Therapy offers in-house training for specific interventions and client population considerations.
3. Ethical and Professional Considerations: Supervision addresses ethical dilemmas, boundaries, and other professional considerations that may arise in the course of therapy. The supervisor helps the supervisee navigate complex ethical situations and adhere to professional standards.
4. Self-Reflection and Personal Growth: Supervision encourages the supervisee to engage in self-reflection and explore their own reactions, biases, and emotions that may arise in therapy sessions. This process promotes personal growth and self-awareness, which are important for effective therapeutic work and in building a professional identity.
5. Support and Encouragement: Supervision provides a safe and supportive space for supervisees to discuss challenges, uncertainties, and emotional reactions they may experience in their work. The supervisor offers encouragement and validation while helping the supervisee manage their emotional responses.
6. Case Review and Consultation: Supervision sessions often involve in-depth discussions about the supervisee's active cases. The supervisor and supervisee collaboratively explore various aspects of the therapeutic process, including assessment, treatment planning, interventions, and progress. This helps the supervisee gain insights, identify blind spots, and refine their therapeutic skills. Street Therapy offers group case consultations once a month.
7. Feedback and Evaluation: Supervision sessions involve constructive feedback and evaluation of the supervisee's clinical performance. This feedback helps the supervisee identify strengths and areas for improvement.
8. Continuing Education: Supervision often includes discussions about current research, evidence-based practices, and new developments in the field of psychotherapy. This promotes ongoing learning and professional development. It's important to note that the supervisory relationship is based on trust, respect, and confidentiality. Supervision can occur in individual or group formats and may vary in frequency and duration based on the supervisee's level of experience and training requirements. The ultimate goal of psychotherapy supervision is to enhance the quality of client care, promote ethical practice, and contribute to the ongoing growth and development of psychotherapists.
Falender, C. A., & Shafranske, E. P. (2021). Clinical supervision: A competency-based approach (2nd ed.). American Psychological Association. https://doi.org/10.1037/0000243-000
Practicum Placements Supervision, and Training
Street Therapy accepts two-three practicum students once a year. We provide psychology and psychotherapy graduate students with the opportunity to gain knowledge and comprehensive counselling experience within a private practice setting. Psychotherapy Interns are assigned to a supervisor who will work with them over eight-twelve months, depending on your program. Psychotherapy Interns receive one hour of individual supervision per week, two group supervisions each month, and a secured messaging system to gain quick access to the supervisor.
While students are not expected to pay for the scheduled supervision hours during their practicum, they will be asked to pay $300 at the beginning of the training to cover costs to new account access to various electronic applications and systems used for client management and tele-psychotherapy. Street Therapy collects payments (low cost and time-limited reduced fees) from clients for the practicum placement to cover the cost of supervision. Our program is aligned with the College of Registered Psychotherapists of Ontario (CRPO) and the Canadian Counselling and Psychotherapy Association (CCPA). However, it is essential to check with your program to see if our site will fit the requirements needed for your practicum. Please be prepared to send in forms and supervision paperwork.
Neurodivergent Psychotherapy Consultation: Embracing Diversity for Effective Care
Are you a mental health professional seeking to enhance your competence in working with neurodivergent individuals? Or, are you a neurodivergent psychotherapist? Our Neurodivergent Psychotherapy Consultation offers you specialized guidance and insights to provide effective and inclusive care for individuals with diverse neurological experiences.
🌟 Why Choose Our Consultation Services?
✨ Expertise in Neurodiversity: Our team of experienced clinicians specializes in working with neurodivergent individuals, including those with autism spectrum disorders, ADHD, sensory processing differences, and other neurological variations.
✨ Inclusive Approach: We recognize and celebrate the unique strengths and challenges of neurodivergent individuals. Our consultation will empower you to create a safe and welcoming therapeutic environment that respects and values neurodiversity.
✨ Tailored Strategies: Gain practical strategies and interventions tailored to the needs of neurodivergent clients. Whether it's communication, sensory regulation, social skills, or emotional processing, we provide insights to promote positive outcomes.
✨ Cultural Sensitivity: Our consultation also addresses the intersection of neurodiversity with various cultural backgrounds, ensuring culturally competent and responsive care.
🌟 What Our Consultation Offers:
🧠 Understanding Neurodiversity: Develop a comprehensive understanding of different neurological profiles and how they impact individuals' thoughts, emotions, behaviors, and interactions.
🧠 Assessment and Consultation with Circle of Care: Learn effective approaches to assessment and collaboration with medical or mental health teams, considering the unique challenges and strengths of neurodivergent clients.
🧠 Therapeutic Techniques: Acquire a diverse toolkit of therapeutic techniques and interventions tailored to support neurodivergent clients in achieving their therapeutic goals.
🧠 Communication Strategies: Explore communication strategies that facilitate meaningful interactions and promote client engagement, while respecting communication preferences.
🧠 Sensory Considerations: Understand sensory processing differences and discover ways to create sensory-friendly therapy spaces and interventions.
🧠 Social Skills and Relationships: Enhance your ability to address social challenges, build social skills, and support the development of meaningful relationships for neurodivergent clients.
🌟 Getting Started:
Elevate your practice by embracing neurodiversity and providing affirming and effective psychotherapy for neurodivergent individuals. Our consultation services are designed to fit both the clinical consultant and your schedule and professional needs. To expand your skills in neurodivergent psychotherapy, contact us here. Join us in creating a more inclusive and supportive therapeutic experience for all individuals, regardless of their neurological differences.